Wednesday, October 6, 2010

10/05/2010 DAY 6 AT GREEN TURTLE BAY MARINA, KY

TUESDAY

TOTAL MILES TRAVELED TODAY: 0 NM

Man was it cold last night!! The days are slowly shortening and the nights are gaining minutes of darkness. Whatever happened to the summer? We are still enjoying the warm and sunny days.

I spent most of today scrubbing the boat fenders in an attempt to rid them of the muck from the Mississippi and the dark scrape marks from the many locks. They are now clean but not necessarily free of all the dark marks. The Quest is definitely “looking good”!

It was a busy work day for many in the marina with "boaties" washing, polishing, waxing and working on the tedious varnishing necessities.  The boatyard had a steady stream of boats being lifted up, moved about for work and then others being lowered down into the water when done.


THE HUGE LIFT HAD JUST ELEVATED THIS BOAT

TIME TO MOVE THIS CUTIE

By early evening I was ready to escape the confines of the boat and head out walking. I ventured past our little village of Grand Rivers and on to the other side of this narrow body of land until I could view the Lighthouse Landing Marina on Kentucky Lake.  Maybe tomorrow I will go a little farther and walk the lake’s shores. On my return, I waved to the “Champ” in the park and cautioned him not to stay away from Lake Champlain too long for he is much loved there.


KENTUCKY LAKE
A SAIL BOAT HAVEN
I did find these geese just strolling down the lane, off to see the world. One “Hiss-sput” and I made a wide detour around them. No use crowding their style!!

"HONK!" "HISS-HISS-SPUT!"
Poor Dan has sore knees and an achy back but the job is progressing nicely. I will be ready for him to get back here to me and the Quest.

Well after dark I heard the deep engine rumble of a sizable motor yacht and peeked out to find the most beautiful “ELEGANTE” maneuvering into the berth next to Quest. Guys from nearby crafts rushed out with lights to show the way and willing hands to receive her ropes. She slowly spun around and gracefully slid her stern in. Oh, what a beauty she is with her Tiffany-style lamps twinkling through the windows from the upper salon and her wood so shiny that the dock lights reflecting off create a warm glow. I can hardly wait to see her in the full morning’s sunlight. I will try to get an early shot so I can post it for your enjoyment.


THE ELEGANTE


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment